Sunday, July 3, 2016

Complete Non Sequitur

In my working life I spent most of it as a Business Analyst with Air New Zealand on the computer side of things. When a problem or proposal came up there would always be a meeting of interested parties and I could never work out why it would take these people so long to arrive at a solution which I would have thought up within the first 5-10 minutes. Surely all these other people must  be as intelligent as I? So my modus operandi thereafter was to let these people talk themselves through to the (mostly) logical conclusion before offering my thoughts or confirmation.

Late in my working life I was persuaded to take a Mensa test (the organisation open to those with IQs in the top 2% of the population, in case you didn't know). Well, knock me down with a feather duster: not only did I pass but it appeared that I was in the top 1%. So that was the explanation! But it was too late to change my working methods as everyone else was used to the way I worked.

I guess that must mean that my brain is wired differently to others. I don't boast about it ('hiding lights under bushels' comes to mind, but why you would want to do that I have no idea; I'd have thought you'd set fire to the damn thing...). That probably also explains my sense of humour...weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment