Friday, November 14, 2014

Bungees are "GO" -wheels up!

The bungees got the OK so now it's time to tackle the wheels which are now up on the bench for covering.  There's not much to say about that process so I'll let some pictures tell the story.


 Since they were taken they have received their first coat of Rand-o-Proof and the tyres have been covered ready for their spraying.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bungee attachment Version 2

After inspection of our first effort we were told that whilst the idea was on the right lines, the execution thereof needed a second effort.  So that's what today's task was.  Here's hoping that there won't be a need for Version 3! But if there is, so be it.  All a good learning exercise for these ageing grey cells.....

Monday, August 11, 2014

Hibernation is over!

Winter has finally started to make way for Spring -although it continues to fight a rear-guard action. But at least we are now able to get back into the hangar and not risk frostbite to our extremities (and other places). Last Sunday we (but mainly Brian) had our first attempt at applying bungee cord to one axle end.  We were going to treat it as just an exercise but it seems to have gone quite well so, subject to our engineer's approval, it will stay in place.  One more step forwards.
 
Actually Winter has been a bit weird this year as our almond tree flowered about 4-6 weeks earlier than normal -but that didn't help the hangar temperatures..... 
 
As for the wings and their painting, we are waiting for Winter to finally go away and allow the temperatures to rise so that another of our volunteers can make a start on them.
 
We have given notice that we'd like our engine back sometime in September so that will be yet another task to be done. It has had a few aerial trips already in its sister ship so that we know it's working OK and hasn't given any problems -always nice to know since it is some years since we first bought it! Things are starting to get exciting again!
 
And just a note about the aftermath of last year's earthquakes: the last of the major internal work has been finished - whoopee! Just need to do some reroofing and then we can start to think about putting it on the market again. (No doubt it will look so nice that we may be tempted to stay. Well I will anyway!)  
 
 

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Time flies when you're having fun....

I see it's some time since my last post, so we must have been having fun!  And so it has been: we have now completed all the wings plus taped wherever it's needed (and a bit where it isn't!) which just leaves them to be painted.

I'd have liked to be able to show a photo of all four wings together but when you are sharing a hangar with a rather large Focke Wulf 190 , a younger Yak 3 plus bits of Fokker E.V there isn't much room for such a display.  We have to fit our bits in where we can!

Painting won't occur now until the temperature warms up and the humidity goes down, so that will be in abeyance until springtime. Meanwhile there are still jobs to be down in the fuselage: lockwiring of turnbuckles, testing that the brakes actually work(!), quite a few split pins to be inserted here there and everywhere, and the bungie cords to be attached to the undercarriage.

And then we need to get our engine back and re-installed for some test runs to make sure all is 'tickety-boo'.

At some stage the paper work will have to be tackled but I might leave that for just a little while yet.....

Monday, April 7, 2014

A Stitch in time........

No photos (because, let's face it, one green wing looks much like another!) but there has been progress.  But a case of two steps forward and one step back: I lost (excuse the pun) the thread of the correct knot to use.  So it's been a case of undoing a couple of ribs and starting again after good advice from Dave -and also getting him to demonstrate it and my taking photos as he went along. That was much more helpful than trying to copy diagrams out of a book.

So what we have so far is:

One lower wing complete;
Other lower wing awaiting tape for the leading and trailing edges;
One top wing with stitched ribs;
Other top wing being covered.

It's starting to look good for the future!  Although there are still a number of things to be finished off, like lock wiring certain turnbuckles, bungying the undercarriage, covering the wheels, re-installing the engine, etc. But we are getting there!!

Friday, March 14, 2014

And the beat goes on.......

Not much talking, just some photos:
Before:

During:

After:

No, the wings are NOT being linked by the tape:

Brian hard at work:

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Progress!

The blog may have been quiet but we certainly haven't been!  The lower wings are now covered:
the rib and transverse tapes were applied today.This just leaves the end plate and then the leading and trailing edge tape to be applied and we're done!

Meanwhile Rex has started covering the first of the top wings:


before he heads off for a welcome break!  We're hoping that he'll have finished the covering before he goes away so that we can enjoy rib stitching again.  Which gives an altogether different take on the expression "I've got a stitch in my ribs"!